Brown vs. Board of Education collection
Call Number: MS 759
Scope and Contents
The Brown vs. Board of Education Collection consists of the research materials used by Richard Kluger in the preparation of his book,Simple Justice: Brown vs. Board of Education(1976). The book is a history of the Supreme Court decision in that case and the events, social and legal, which preceded it. The collection itself is comprised of interview notes, some correspondence, newspaper and magazine articles, and a large amount of photocopied material such as court transcripts, contemporary newspaper and magazine articles and correspondence from the files of the NAACP Legal Defense Fund. The great strengths of the collection lie in the fact that Kluger has gathered together a great deal of primary source material in the form of interviews with many of the central figures involved in the case. In addition, there are photocopies of correspondence and court transcripts. Subsequent researchers will be greatly aided by the availability of this material in one location.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Arranged in four series, maintaining Kruger's original organization of his research files: I. Subject Files. II. NAACP Legal Defense Fund Correspondence. III. Court Transcripts and Law Review Articles. IV. Sources and Additional Research Materials.
8.75 Linear Feet (16 boxes)
Interview notes, correspondence, clippings, copies of court transcripts and briefs assembled by Richard Kluger for his book, Simple Justice: Brown vs. Board of Education. Kluger's interview notes, taken either in person or by mail, with over one hundred people make up the core of the collection. Especially full materials are available for Alexander Bickel, Hugo L. Black, Esther Brown, Linda Brown, John W. Davis, Felix Frankfurter, William H. Hastie, Kenneth B. Clark, Charles H. Houston, Thurgood Marshall, William H. Rehnquist, and Earl Warren. Kluger's copies of the correspondence files of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) relating to this case are also included in the collection, as are two unpublished manuscripts by Phyllis Kluger: an article, "A Short History of Education in the United States," and a book, A Long History of Negro Education.
Other Finding Aids
Additional information not yet available in the online version of the finding aid exists in the repository. Contact Manuscripts and Archives for assistance.
- Adams, Sherman, 1899-1986
- African Americans -- Education
- Almond, J. Lindsay (James Lindsay), 1898-1986
- Bickel, Alexander M.
- Black, Charles L., Jr. (Charles Lund), 1915-2001
- Black, Hugo LaFayette, 1886-1971
- Boulware, Harold R., 1913-
- Brown, Esther, 1918-1970
- Clark, Kenneth Bancroft, 1914-2005
- Clark, Tom C. (Tom Campbell), 1899-1977
- Davis, John Anderson, 1924-
- Davis, John W. (John Warren), 1888-1980
- Douglas, William O. (William Orville), 1898-1980
- Du Bois, W. E. B. (William Edward Burghardt), 1868-1963
- Education and state
- Ernst, Morris L. (Morris Leopold), 1888-1976
- Figg, Robert McC.
- Fortas, Abe, 1910-1982
- Frank, John P. (John Paul), 1917-2002
- Frankfurter, Felix, 1882-1965
- Franklin, John Hope, 1915-2009
- Gardner, Warner W. (Warner Winslow), 1909-2003
- Gellhorn, Walter, 1906-1995
- Greenberg, Jack, 1924-2016
- Harris, Louis, 1921-2016
- Hastie, William, 1904-1976
- Howe, Louisa Pinkham
- Huxman, Walter Augustus, 1887-1972
- Kelly, Alfred H. (Alfred Hinsey), 1907-1976
- Kiene, Tom Lee, 1906-
- Kluger, Phyllis
- Kluger, Richard, 1934-
- Kreech, David, 1909-
- Lewis, Anthony, 1927-2013
- Marshall, Thurgood, 1908-1993
- Menninger, Karl A. (Karl Augustus), 1893-1990
- Minton, Sherman, 1890-1965
- Nabrit, James M. (James Madison), 1900-1997
- Odum, Howard Washington, 1884-1954
- Pollak, Louis H.
- Prettyman, E. Barrett (Elijah Barrett), 1891-1971
- Rankin, J. Lee, 1907-1996
- Robertson, Archibald Gerard, 1889-
- Robinson, Spottswood William, III, 1916-1998
- Segregation in education -- Law and legislation -- United States
- United States -- Race relations
- United States. Supreme Court
- Vinson, Fred M., 1890-1953
- Vinson, Frederic Moore, 1925-
- Waring, Julius Waties, 1880-1968
- Warren, Earl, 1891-1974
- Wechsler, Herbert, 1909-2000
- Weinstein, Jack B., 1921-
- Wertham, Fredric, 1895-1981
- Wilkins, Roy, 1901-1981
- Guide to the Brown vs. Board of Education Collection
- compiled by Peter Bartucca
- April 1976
- Language of description
- Finding aid written in English.
- February 2016: finding aid revision description not supplied