11.75 linear feet (29 boxes)
The James Gamble Rogers Papers came to Yale, probably in the late 1960s, and were first stored in the Plan Room at Buildings and Grounds, 20 Ashmun Street. Some papers were discarded by that office; others, including all plans, sections, and elevations for Yale buildings are still in use there. Some papers, especially detail drawings, were transferred to Manuscripts and Archives, and subsequently all architectural drawings for Yale buildings were placed in the Architectural Archives Collection.
What remains is an uneven and gap-ridden collection of office files; nonetheless it documents phases of the design and planning of much of the Yale campus and half a dozen of Rogers' other projects in New York. The papers are arranged by building or project; they include job files, schedules of hardware, specifications, photographs and drawings, but the files are not complete for any one building.
The job files for the Yale buildings consist largely of correspondence and other papers exchanged with the contractor, Marc Eidlitz & Son of New York City. There is also correspondence with consulting engineer Hollis French, of New Haven and Boston, who drew up many of the specifications.
The photographs are mostly of models for ornamental stonework, sculpted by René P. Chambellan. There are also many photographs of mantels, and photographs of buildings which Rogers hoped to imitate in some feature, and of people whom he planned to represent in the decorations.
More extensive Rogers' correspondence and architectural records can be found in the following collections in Manuscripts and Archives:
- Architectural Archives --- YRG 46
- Treasurer's Records --- 5 - B
- Services Bureau --- 5 - I-9
- Corporation Committee on Architectural Plan --- 1-E
- Presidential Records: Arthur T. Hadley --- 2 - A-13
- Presidential Records: James R. Angell --- 2 - A-14
- Presidential Records: Charles Seymour --- 2 - A-15
- Records of the Provost --- 3 - A
- Records of the University Librarian --- 32 - C
- George Parmly Day Papers --- MS. Grp. No. 174
- James H. Penniman Papers --- 9
- Anson Phelps Stokes Papers --- 299