William Smith Mason autograph collection
Scope and Contents
The William Smith Mason Collection consists of manuscripts, documents, and correspondence of persons in public life, collected by William Smith Mason. Presidents, Cabinet members, Ministers to foreign countries, members of Congress, Generals, and other well-known persons during the years 1800-1924 are included. There are also copies of the papers of the Abel Knight Family of Eastbethlehem, Pennsylvania.
The William S. Mason Collection was a gift of the Kingsley Trust Association
- Mason, William Smith, 1866- (Collector)
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 box)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of autograph manuscripts, documents and correspondence of people in public life. The collection contains correspondence of Theodore Roosevelt with Francis J. Heney and others and copies of letters of the Jonathan Knight family.
Biographical / Historical
William Smith Mason was born in Millburn, Illinois in December, 1866. He received his Ph.B. from Yale in 1888 and his M.A. in 1924. Mason was active in the real estate and insurance business. He was the owner of a large collection of materials relating to Benjamin Franklin and a library of Revolutionary literature. Mason died in January, 1961.
Other Finding Aids
For an index of autograph letters in the William S. Mason collection, please consult theAutograph Index.
- Biddle, Nicholas, 1786-1844
- Blaine, James Gillespie, 1830-1893
- Calhoun, John C. (John Caldwell), 1782-1850
- Cass, Lewis, 1782-1866
- Chase, Salmon P. (Salmon Portland), 1808-1873
- Clay, Henry, 1777-1852
- Cleveland, Grover, 1837-1908
- Douglas, Stephen A. (Stephen Arnold), 1813-1861
- Grant, Ulysses S. (Ulysses Simpson), 1822-1885
- Heney, Francis Joseph, 1859-1937
- Jackson, Andrew, 1767-1845
- Knight, J. (Jonathan), 1787-1858
- Lincoln, Abraham, 1809-1865
- Mason, William Smith, 1866-
- McKinley, William, 1843-1901
- Politicians -- Autographs
- Roosevelt, Theodore, 1858-1919
- Seward, William H. (William Henry), 1801-1872
- Sherman, John, 1823-1900
- Stevens, Thaddeus, 1792-1868
- Sumner, Charles, 1811-1874
- United States -- Politics and government
- Van Buren, Martin, 1782-1862
- Webster, Daniel, 1782-1852
- Welles, Gideon, 1802-1878
- Guide to the William Smith Mason Collection
- Under Revision
- September 1982
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511