Scope and Contents
The Charles Mason Remey Papers were given to Yale University Library by Mr. Remey. The family material consists of typed copies of manuscripts the originals of which are in other repositories, and Yale is one of several institutions that holds a set of these copies. It is not apparent whether any other institution has Remey's own travel diaries.
- Majority of material found within 1939 - 1957
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Charles M. Remey, 1940-1958.
8 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The papers consist of his travel journals in Europe and Latin America as a teacher of the Bahá'i faith (1945-1948) and typescripts of family biographies and other aspects of the Remey family history. Included are compilations of the life and letters of Charles Mason, chief justice of Iowa, of George Collier Remey, rear admiral in the United States Navy, and of Mary Josephine Remey. Remey's architectural career is represented in an "Architectural design for a Bahá'i temple to be built upon Mt. Carmel in the Holy Land."
Biographical / Historical
Charles Mason Remey: studied architecture at Cornell, at École des Beaux Arts (Paris), 1896-1903; professor of architecture, George Washington University, 1908-1910; active in the Bahá'i faith and designer of the Bahá'i temple on Mount Carmel; author.
- Bahai Faith
- Europe -- Description and travel
- Iowa -- Politics and government
- Judges -- Iowa
- Latin America
- Mason, Charles, 1804-1882
- Remey, Charles Mason, 1874-1974
- Remey, George Collier, 1841-1928
- Remey, Gertrude Heim Klemm, 1888-1932
- Remey, Mary Josephine Mason, 1845-1938
- United States. Navy (Biography)
- Guide to the Charles Mason Remey Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Thomas J. Connors
- March 1980
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511