Scope and Contents
The Tarleton Family Papers consist of letters, photographs, and miscellaneous items of the Tarleton and Lightfoot families of Alabama, primarily from the Civil War era. Most of the letters were written by Robert Tarleton to his mother and his fiancée and wife while he was at military camps during the war and doing business away from home in the early years of Reconstruction. The photographs show Tarleton and his wife, their parents, and a few other people.
The Tarleton Family Papers were given to Yale University Library by Mr. And Mrs. Robert M. Tarleton and by Mrs. A. R. Colvin in 1940 and 1942.
Additional Tarleton family photographs are located in the Historical Picture Collection (MS 713):
- Margaret (Brack) Tarleton
- Robert Tarleton
- Robert Tarleton and another young man
- Captain Jack and Sarah (Mrs. Jack) Eggleston
- Alfred Ross, borther of Sarah Bee (Ross) Lightfoot
- Unidentified young man
- Majority of material found within 1861 - 1869
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Unpublished materials authored or otherwise produced by the creator(s) of this collection are in the public domain. There are no restrictions on use. Copyright status for other collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Robert M. Tarleton and Mrs. A.R. Colvin in 1940 and 1942.
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Correspondence, autograph album, genealogical notes, photographs and miscellaneous papers of the Tarleton and Lightfoot families of Alabama. The major figures represented in the collection are Robert Tarleton, his wife Sarah Bernard Lightfoot Tarleton, and Sarah Bee Ross Lightfoot. Most letters were written by Robert Tarleton and date from the Civil War period. The papers also contain an 1834 letter from Marquis de Lafayette to the President of the French Chamber of Peers.
Biographical / Historical
Robert Tarleton (1838-1868): doctor; studied medicine in New York City; served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War; taken prisoner and escaped, 1864.
- Brack, William
- Cleburne, Patrick Ronayne, 1828-1864
- Cole, Susan Tarleton
- Confederate States of America -- History
- Lafayette, Marie Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert Du Motier, marquis de, 1757-1834
- Lightfoot family
- Lightfoot, Sarah Bee Ross
- Lightfoot, William B.
- Southern States
- Tarleton family
- Tarleton, Robert, 1838-1868
- Tarleton, Sarah Bernard Lightfoot
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865
- Yale University -- Students
- Guide to the Tarleton Family Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Susan Grigg
- February 1980
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511