Edward Hussey Knight papers
Scope and Contents
Notebooks, memorabilia, a small amount of correspondence, and other items make up the papers of Edward H. Knight (1877-1974, Y. 1898). Almost all of the materials related to Knight's year at Yale College, 1897-1898. Included are nine books of Knight's notes taken on the lectures of William Lyon Phelps, Oliver H. Richardson, William Graham Sumner, and Arthur M. Wheeler. There are also notes taken by Albert A. Palmer (Y. 1901) of Wheeler's lectures in 1899, and a history paper on Aaron Burr written by Palmer. The correspondence consists of letters concerning Knight's admission to Yale College and one family letter. In addition to these materials, the Papers contain a genealogy and short autobiography of Knight, and selected Yale memorabilia.
These papers were given to Yale University by Edward H. Knight in 1943.
- Majority of material found within 1896 - 1899
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Edward H. Knight, 1943.
0.5 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Miscellaneous papers of E. H. Knight, mostly relating to his year at Yale College, 1897-1898. Included are nine notebooks with his notes on the lectures of William Lyon Phelps, Oliver H. Richardson, William Graham Sumner and A. M. Wheeler. In addition there is a history paper by Albert R. Palmer (Y.1901), correspondence relating to Knight's admission to Yale, two family letters, college memorabilia and a genealogy.
Biographical / Historical
Edward H. Knight: Indianapolis, Indiana city attorney, 1927-1930; corporation counsel, 1930-1935; assistant prosecuting attorney of Marion County, 1935-1939; corporation counsel, 1939- .
- Knight, Edward Hussey, 1877-1974
- Palmer, Albert R., 1881-
- Phelps, William Lyon, 1865-1943
- Richardson, Oliver H. (Oliver Huntington), 1866-1936
- Schwab, John Christopher, 1865-1916
- Sumner, William Graham, 1840-1910
- Wheeler, Arthur M. (Arthur Martin), 1836-
- Yale College (1887- ). Class of 1898
- Yale University -- Curricula
- Yale University -- Students
- Guide to the Edward Hussey Knight Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Janet Elaine Gertz
- November 1981
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511