Scope and Contents
Elizabeth E. Smith's papers consist of travel journals compiled from 1883 to 1885 during her third extended tour from New York to Europe and the Near East. A well-educated, observant woman interested in history and art, she presents a well-written narrative of what she saw and experienced while traveling with her sister, brother-in-law, and nieces through England to Russia, south through Central Europe to Italy, Spain, and Morocco, and then east to Greece and the Levant. She was very attentive not only to architecture and the arts but also to the daily life and customs of the common people whose countries she traversed, describing in detail religious practices and local costumes as well as art galleries and the usual tourist sights. Her journals are profusely illustrated with photographs, prints, newspaper clippings, and drawings, some of which she drew herself.
The papers are completed by several manuscript poems and essays written by Elizabeth Smith during her trip.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown, though much of the material in this collection is likely in the public domain. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of A. Stuart Pitt, 1939.
2 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Travel journals written by Elizabeth E. Smith on a trip to Europe and the Near East (1883-1885). The copious journals record not only architecture and the arts, but also the daily life and customs of the people whom she observed. Included in the journals are also photographs, prints, newspaper clippings, and drawings, some of them her own. Also in the papers are several of her poems and essays written during the trip.
- Austria -- Description and travel
- Belgium -- Description and travel
- Europe -- Description and travel
- France -- Description and travel
- Germany -- Description and travel
- Italy -- Description and travel
- Middle East -- Description and travel
- Poland -- Description and travel
- Smith, Elizabeth E.
- Soviet Union -- Description and travel
- Spain -- Description and travel
- Switzerland -- Description and travel
- Turkey -- Description and travel
- Guide to the Elizabeth E. Smith Papers
- Under Revision
- compiled by Janet Elaine Gertz
- August 1982
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Created In Accordance With Manuscripts And Archives Processing Manual
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511