Scope and Contents
The South Africa Collection consists of printed material arranged alphabetically by organization, name, personal name, or title of publication. A small number of subject files are included at the end of the collection. Additions to the collection may vary in arrangement.
- Majority of material found within 1992 - 1996
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Original audiovisual materials, as well as preservation and duplicating masters, may not be played. Researchers must consult use copies, or if none exist must pay for a use copy, which is retained by the repository. Researchers wishing to obtain an additional copy of non-commercially produced items for their personal use should consult the ordering reproductions information on the Manuscripts and Archives web site.
Copies of commercially produced audiovisual materials contained in this collection cannot be made for researcher use outside of the repository.
Conditions Governing Use
Copyright status for collection materials is unknown. Transmission or reproduction of materials protected by U.S. Copyright Law (Title 17, U.S.C.) beyond that allowed by fair use requires the written permission of the copyright owners. Works not in the public domain cannot be commercially exploited without permission of the copyright owners. Responsibility for any use rests exclusively with the user.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from the African Collection Curator.
The original accession is arranged alphabetically by organization, title of publication, or personal name. A small section of subject files is included at the end of the accession. Additions to the collection may vary in arrangement.
33.81 Linear Feet (56 boxes)
Language of Materials
The collection consists of printed material, audio recordings, and memorabilia relating to current political, economic, and social conditions in South Africa. The majority of the material pertains to the African National Congress and the first democratic election of April 27, 1994.
- African National Congress
- Anti-apartheid movements -- South Africa
- Apartheid -- South Africa
- Democracy -- South Africa
- Elections -- South Africa
- Mandela, Nelson, 1918-2013
- South Africa -- Economic conditions
- South Africa -- Politics and government
- South Africa -- Social conditions
- Voting -- South Africa
- World Conference against Racism, Racial Discrimination, Xenophobia, and Related Intolerance (2001 Durban, South Africa)
- Guide to the South Africa Collection
- Under Revision
- compiled by Carol King and staff of Manuscripts and Archives
- May 1995
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511