Early Yale documents collection
Description of the Papers
The Early Yale Documents Collection consists of correspondence, minutes, financial records, charters and official acts, inventories, and other papers documenting the founding and early history of Yale College from its early eighteenth century origins as the Collegiate School until the mid-eighteenth century, as well as some miscellaneous Yale-related material from the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. The collection spans the dates 1701-1889, with the bulk of the material dating from between 1701 and 1751.
- 1700 - 1902
Information about Access
The materials are open for research.
Ownership & Copyright
The Early Yale Documents Collection is the physical property of Yale University. Literary rights, including copyright, belong to the authors or their legal heirs and assigns. For further information, consult the appropriate curator.
Immediate Source of Acquisition note
Transferred from the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, 2018. Acquired by gift and purchase from various sources.
12.92 Linear Feet (9 boxes)
Language of Materials
Correspondence, minutes, financial records, charters and official acts, inventories of books and other property, and other papers documenting the founding and early history of Yale College. Documents include the original charter of the Collegiate School; letters by and to the first trustees of the school; and the 1718 inventory of books donated to the school by Elihu Yale.
Forms part of Yale Record Group 45 (YRG 45), Yale objects and memorabilia.
This finding aid was produced from a previously existing card set in the Beinecke Library Manuscripts Catalog, or from another inventory. All pertinent bibliographical information has been retained.
Former call numbers: GEN MS VAULT SECT. 17; GEN MSS 856.
- Collegiate School (New Haven, Conn.) -- History
- Connecticut -- History -- Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- Dummer, Jeremiah, 1681-1739
- Mather, Increase, 1639-1723
- Pierpont, James, 1660-1714
- Sewall, Samuel, 1652-1730
- Universities and colleges -- United States
- Yale College (1718-1887) -- History
- Yale University -- History -- 18th century
- Yale University -- History -- 19th century
- Yale, Elihu, 1649-1721
- Guide to the Early Yale Documents Collection
- Edited Full Draft
- compiled by Michael Lotstein, Emily Komornik, and Alison Clemens
- August 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Manuscripts and Archives Repository
Yale University Library
P.O. Box 208240
New Haven CT 06520-8240 US
(203) 432-7441 (Fax)
Sterling Memorial Library
120 High Street
New Haven, CT 06511