Newton Theological Institution Records
Scope and Contents
The records have been maintained in the order in which they were received from Andover Newton Theological School. The archives of Newton Theological Institution have been organized into 10 series.
- 1825 - 1965
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of Andover Newton Theological School, 2017.
Organized into ten series: I. Trustees, II. Early Records, III. Faculty, IV. Students, V. Alumnae/i, VI. Publications, VII. Events, VIII. Library, IX. Audiovisual, X. Realia.
46 Linear Feet (53 boxes)
Language of Materials
These are the official archives of Newton Theological Institution, a seminary of the Baptist Church, which formally affiliated with Andover Theological Seminary in 1965 to become Andover Newton Theological School.
Biographical / Historical
In 1825, a group of ministers of the Boston Baptist Association met at First Baptist Church of Boston and decided to found a Baptist seminary in the Boston area. The group raised the funds necessary to purchase and repair the 80-acre Peck estate in Newton, Massachusetts, and Irah Chase was appointed the first professor of biblical theology. Newton Theological Institution was incorporated by the Legislature on February 21, 1826, and the first classes were held November 28, 1826. The graduate seminary was formally affiliated with the group now known as American Baptist Churches USA, which is the oldest Baptist denomination in America. In 1931 Andover Theological Seminary moved to Newton Theological Institution’s Newton Centre campus, and the two schools became affiliated, forming Andover Newton Theological School. In 1965, the two Schools formally merged. (Sources: Today’s Ministry Commemorative Bicentennial Issue 1807-2007; Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_Theological_Institution accessed 8 June 2007)
- Newton Theological Institution founded in Newton Centre, Massachusetts
- Newton Theological Institution incorporated by the Massachusetts Legislature
- At invitation of Newton Theological Institution, Andover Theological Seminary relocates to Newton Center, Massachusetts
- Newton Theological Institution and Andover Theological Seminary formally merge to form Andover Newton Theological School
- Guide to the Newton Theological Institution Records
- Andover Newton Theological School library staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US