Scope and Contents
The John Leslie Dunstan Papers, 1936-1969, document the professional work of Dunstan. The collection is arranged according to the following categories: journal, correspondence, sermons, lectures and essays, unpublished manuscripts, office files.
The correspondence (1936-1954) is that of Dunstan and Paul S. Minear, and provides detailed accounts of the life and work of both men. The sermons comprise the bulk of the collection, and are arranged as follows: undated, no Biblical text--alphabetically by title; undated--by Biblical text; dated items. The lectures and essays are arranged as follows: undated--alphabetically by title; dated items. There is a small number of items identified as unpublished manuscripts; refer to ANTS faculty-publications register for a record of Dunstan publications.
The office files are not part of the Minear gift. The files were transferred to the Andover Newton Theological School Library after Dunstan's sudden death in 1969. The material represents his current working files at that time, and documents his academic and professional responsibilities in the 1960s.
- 1936 - 1969
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from Andover Newton Theological School Collection, 2017. A portion of the collection was donated to Andover Newton by Paul S. Minear in 1983.
Series I. Journal, 1960-1961
Series II. Correspondence, 1936-1954
Series III. Sermons, 1937-1966
Series IV. Lectures and Essays, 1944-1967
Series V. Unpublished Manuscripts
Series VI. Office Files, 1957-1969
4.75 Linear Feet (10 boxes)
Language of Materials
The Dunstan Papers document his professional life, primarily as a faculty member at Andover Newton Theological School. The correspondence (1936-1954) is that of Dunstan and Paul S. Minear, and provides detailed accounts of the life and work of both men during that period. Minear was a professor of Biblical Theology at Yale Divinity School.
Biographical / Historical
- 1901 November 21
- Born in London, England
- Graduated from Colby College, Maine
- Graduate work at Boston University, School of Religious Education
- Graduate work at Union Theological Seminary, NY
- Ordained in Presbyterian Church, 1932 April 25
- Director of Religious Education, Union Church, Bay Ridge, Brooklyn, NY
- Associate Pastor, Central Union Church, Honolulu, Hawaii
- Lecturer in·Psychology and and. Philosophy of Religion, School of Religion, University of Hawaii
- Graduate work at Westminster College, Cambridge, England
- Received Ph.D., Columbia University
- Director, School of Religion, University of Hawaii
- General Secretary of Hawaiian Evangelical Association
- Associate Professor of Missions and Comparative Religion, Andover Theological Seminary
- Professor of Missions and Comparative Religion, Andover
- Montgomery Professor of Missions and Comparative Religion, Andover
- Judson Professor of Missions and Comparative Religion, Andover Newton Theological School
- 1969 July 20
- Died, Newton Centre, Massachusetts
- Guide to the J. Leslie Dunstan Papers
- Andover Newton Theological School and Yale Divinity Library staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US