Skip to main content

Andover Newton Miscellaneous Personal Papers Collection

 Collection
Call Number: RG 295

Scope and Contents

This collection contains correspondence, diaries, writings and/or other papers and memorabilia of various individuals, including graduates and former faculty members of Andover Theological Seminary, Newton Theological Institution and Andover Newton Theological School, as well as clergy, church leaders and missionaries. The papers of these men and women have been placed in the Andover Newton Miscellaneous Personal Papers record group because the quantity or substance of the material did not warrant a separate record group.

Dates

  • 1716 - 2018

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research.

Arrangement

The papers are arranged alphabetically by the names of the individuals.

Extent

66 Linear Feet (173 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Catalog Record

A record for this collection is available in Orbis, the Yale University Library catalog

Persistent URL

http://hdl.handle.net/10079/fa/divinity.295

Overview

This is a collection of the correspondence, diaries, writings and/or other papers and memorabilia related various individuals, including clergy, missionaries, and faculty and graduates of Andover Theological Seminary, Newton Theological Institution, and Andover Newton Theological School faculty members.

Biographical / Historical

The papers in this collection were gathered at Andover Newton Theological Seminary and transferred to the Yale Divinity School Library in 2017 when Andover Newton became affiliated with Yale Divinity School. Andover Newton traces its roots to the early 1800s and the desire to prepare a well-educated clergy among both Congregationalist and Baptists. With the 1778 founding of Phillips Academy in Andover, Massachusetts, and the establishment of a separate department of divinity in 1807, the Andover Theological Seminary was created. Instruction at the southern Merrimack River Valley campus continued until 1907, when the trustees decided to move the school to the urban setting of Cambridge, Massachusetts, to broaden the curriculum and establish closer ties with the academic world. In 1908, plans for a formal affiliation with Harvard Divinity School were started, but merger attempts resulted in a legal struggle over adherence to Andover's founding principles.

The move to Cambridge left the school with a dwindling enrollment. In 1931, at the invitation of the Newton Theological Institution, Andover relocated to Newton Centre. In 1965, the two schools formally merged, forming the Andover Newton Theological School.

Processing Information

Place names were modernized in the description, with the name originally used in the collection material or in an older version of the finding aid in parenthesis: e.g. “Beijing (Peking)” or “Benin (Dahomey)”.
Title
Guide to the Andover Newton Miscellaneous Personal Papers Collection
Author
Andover Newton Theological School and Yale Divinity Library staff
Date
2018, 2020, 2021
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Part of the Yale University Divinity School Library Repository

Contact:
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US
(203) 432-5301

Opening Hours