Skip to main content

Andover Theological Seminary Records

 Collection
Call Number: RG 275

Scope and Contents

These are the official archives of Andover Theological Seminary, a seminary with Congregational roots that affiliated with the Newton Theological Institution in 1965 to become Andover Newton Theological School. The archives of the Andover Theological Seminary are organized according to its governance and structure. The records have been maintained in the order in which they were received from Andover Newton Theological School.

Dates

  • 1780 - 2003
  • Majority of material found within 1807 - 1965

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The collection is open for research.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from Andover Newton Theological School, 2017

Arrangement

Organized into eleven series: I. Boards of Trustees and Visitors, II. Faculty, III. Students, IV. Alumni, V. Financial, VI. Legal, VII. Library, VIII. History, IX. Images, X. Publications, XI. Related Organizations.

Extent

100 Linear Feet (181 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Catalog Record

A record for this collection is available in Orbis, the Yale University Library catalog

Persistent URL

https://hdl.handle.net/10079/fa/divinity.275

Overview

These are the official archives of Andover Theological Seminary, a seminary with Congregational roots that affiliated with the Newton Theological Institution in 1965 to become Andover Newton Theological School.

Biographical / Historical

Andover Theological Seminary was founded in 1807. The origin of the school can be traced to Phillips Academy, which was established in 1778 at Andover, Massachusetts. Specific instruction in divinity was provided in 1794 when a legacy was received for the support of a professor of divinity. In 1807, additional funds made possible the founding of a separate department of divinity. The following year, the theological institution known as Andover Theological Seminary was opened for instruction. In 1907 the Seminary transferred to Harvard University. In 1931 the Seminary transferred to Newton Centre, and became affiliated with Newton Theological Institution to form Andover Newton Theological School. In 1965 the two schools formally merged.
1778
Phillips Academy founded in Andover, Massachusetts
1807
Department of Divinity established at Phillips Academy (founding of Andover Theological Seminary)
1825
Newton Theological Institution founded in Newton Centre, Massachusetts
1907
Andover Theological Seminary relocates to Cambridge, Massachusetts and establishes ties with Harvard University
1931
Andover Theological Seminary relocates to Newton Center, Massachusetts at invitation of Newton Theological Institution
1965
Andover Theological Seminary and Newton Theological Institution formally merge to form the Andover Newton Theological School
Title
Guide to the Andover Theological Seminary Records
Author
Andover Newton Theological School and Yale Divinity Library staff
Date
2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository

Contact:
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US
(203) 432-5301

Opening Hours