Andover Theological Seminary Records
Scope and Contents
These are the official archives of Andover Theological Seminary, a seminary with Congregational roots that affiliated with the Newton Theological Institution in 1965 to become Andover Newton Theological School. The archives of the Andover Theological Seminary are organized according to its governance and structure. The records have been maintained in the order in which they were received from Andover Newton Theological School.
- 1780 - 2003
- Majority of material found within 1807 - 1965
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from Andover Newton Theological School, 2017
Organized into eleven series: I. Boards of Trustees and Visitors, II. Faculty, III. Students, IV. Alumni, V. Financial, VI. Legal, VII. Library, VIII. History, IX. Images, X. Publications, XI. Related Organizations.
100 Linear Feet (181 boxes)
Language of Materials
These are the official archives of Andover Theological Seminary, a seminary with Congregational roots that affiliated with the Newton Theological Institution in 1965 to become Andover Newton Theological School.
Biographical / Historical
Andover Theological Seminary was founded in 1807. The origin of the school can be traced to Phillips Academy, which was established in 1778 at Andover, Massachusetts. Specific instruction in divinity was provided in 1794 when a legacy was received for the support of a professor of divinity. In 1807, additional funds made possible the founding of a separate department of divinity. The following year, the theological institution known as Andover Theological Seminary was opened for instruction. In 1907 the Seminary transferred to Harvard University. In 1931 the Seminary transferred to Newton Centre, and became affiliated with Newton Theological Institution to form Andover Newton Theological School. In 1965 the two schools formally merged.
- Phillips Academy founded in Andover, Massachusetts
- Department of Divinity established at Phillips Academy (founding of Andover Theological Seminary)
- Newton Theological Institution founded in Newton Centre, Massachusetts
- Andover Theological Seminary relocates to Cambridge, Massachusetts and establishes ties with Harvard University
- Andover Theological Seminary relocates to Newton Center, Massachusetts at invitation of Newton Theological Institution
- Andover Theological Seminary and Newton Theological Institution formally merge to form the Andover Newton Theological School
- Guide to the Andover Theological Seminary Records
- Andover Newton Theological School and Yale Divinity Library staff
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US