North Congregational Church (North Middleboro, Mass.) Records
Scope and Contents
This collection is notable for the detailed and comprehensive records it provides for a New England Congregational church. Church record books document meetings and actions of the church from 1748 to 1967. There are also detailed records related to the Sabbath School of the church from 1817 to 1902, and of women's groups of the church, including the Ladies Benevolent Society.
- 1747 - 1967
Conditions Governing Access
Collection is open for research
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transferred from Andover Newton Theological School, 2017
Series I: Church Records
Series II: Sabbath School Records
Series III: Women's Groups
Series IV: Financial Records
Series V: Related to the Church Building
Series VI: Microfilm
2.5 Linear Feet (5 boxes)
Language of Materials
Detailed and complete records document the history of North Congregational Church in North Middleboro (Middleborough), Massachusetts, where Isaac Backus was minister from 1748 to 1756.
Biographical / Historical
There was a church in Titicut Parish, which is now part of North Middleboro (Middleborough), Massachusetts from 1675, composed of "praying Indians" who had been taught by John Eliot and others. This church continued as a Native American church for a number of years, during which time white settlers came into the area. The white settlers petitioned the General Court and Governor of Massachusetts in 1743 to form a new parish from parts of Bridgewater and Middleboro. This petition was granted and they set about organizing the Parish.
Isaac Backus (1724-1806) was appointed as the first minister of the church in 1748 and served until 1756, when he left to join the Baptist church. Backus was succeeded by Solomon Reed who served from 1756 to 1785. Other ministers of the church are listed in the 1931 Yearbook contained in the collection. Philip Colby, who served from 1817 to 1851, started a Sabbath School for children of the parish in 1817.
The first meeting house of the church was erected in 1748, a simple edifice that was replaced in 1808 with a new meeting house with a belfry and bell. This church building burned in 1852 and a third building was erected in the same place by later that year. In 1893 the third church building burned and was replaced by a church designed by architect J. Williams Beal.
- Guide to the North Congregational Church (North Middleboro, Mass.) Records
- Martha Lund Smalley
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US