Skip to main content

Associate Board of the Women's Christian College (Madras, India) Records

 Collection
Call Number: RG 187

Scope and Contents

There are minutes and meeting records for each of these related organizations. These would appear to be the official archives of the Associate Board because the material includes original financial records and the official seal of the Board. The minutes, reports, publications, and correspondence related to the Women's Christian College, Madras itself, and the Christa Seva Vidhyalaya were most likely sent to the Associate Board as documentation of their activities.

Dates

  • 1942-1973

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

The materials are open for research.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Transferred from the New York office of the United Church Board for World Ministries

Arrangement

  1. I. Associate Board of the WCCM
  2. II. Women's Christian College, Madras
  3. III. Christa Seva Vidhyalaya

Extent

2 Linear Feet (4 boxes)

Language of Materials

English

Catalog Record

A record for this collection is available in Orbis, the Yale University Library catalog

Persistent URL

https://hdl.handle.net/10079/fa/divinity.187

Overview

The Associate Board of the Women's Christian College, Madras, was the American governing body of the College, which was founded in 1915 in Chennai (Madras), India, as a joint venture of several British and American mission boards.

Biographical / Historical

The Women's Christian College, Madras was opened in July 1915 with forty-one students. Affiliated with the University of Madras, it was among the first institutions for higher education for women in South India and was under the management of a Council representing the following missionary bodies: Church Missionary Society, Church of England Zenana Missionary Society, London Missionary Society, Wesleyan Methodist Missionary Society, Church of Scotland Mission, United Free Church of Scotland Mission, Arcot Assembly, American Baptist Telugu Mission, American Madura Mission, Methodist Episcopal Misison, Canadian Presbyterian Mission, American Evangelical Lutheran Mission. Miss Eleanor McDougall, formerly Classical Lecturer at Westfield College was principal for the first twenty years.

The Associate Board of the Women's Christian College, Madras was formerly known as the American Section of the Governing Board. In 1954 the Associate Board had representatives from the following boards and societies: American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, Woman's American Baptist Foreign Missionary Society, Woman's Auxiliary to the National Council of the Protestant Episcopal Church, The Women's Missionary Society of the United Lutheran Church in America, Woman's Division of Christian Service of the Board of Missions and Church Extension of The Methodist Church, Department of Women's Work of the Mission Boards Reformed Church in America, The Woman's Missionary Society of the United Church of Canada, and Mount Holyoke-in-Madras.

Christa Seva Vidhyalaya was founded in 1945 as a Missionary Training Centre in the Women's Christian College, Madras. Its purpose was to provide training for Indian women graduates who were seeking to pursue leadership posistions in Christian educational, evangelistic, and medical service.
Title
Guide to the Associate Board of the Women's Christian College (Madras, India) Records
Author
Compiled by Kathryn Lund and Martha Lund Smalley
Date
2002
Description rules
Finding Aid Prepared According To Local Divinity Library Descriptive Practices
Language of description note
Finding aid written in English.

Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository

Contact:
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US
(203) 432-5301

Opening Hours