Scope and Contents
A small portion of the material is in manuscript form while the majority is printed, including manuals, directories, news bulletins and historical papers. Additional documentation regarding these churches may be available in the Library's cataloged collection.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
- I. Connecticut Churches
- II. Maine Churches
- III. Massachusetts Churches
- IV. New Hampshire Churches
- V. Rhode Island Churches
- VI. Vermont Churches
The churches are arranged alphabetically within each state with name changes and other historical data noted when pertinent. The material for each church is arranged chronologically except in a few cases where the quantity of material warranted a more detailed arrangement.
25 Linear Feet (61 boxes)
Language of Materials
Record Group 48 is an open collection composed of records from individual churches in the six New England states: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
Biographical / Historical
Christians first arrived in the area that would become New England in the early 1600s. The first Christian settlers were predominantly English Puritans, and members of other denominations arrived over the following decades. The churches represented in this collection are predominantly Congregational, with other denominations - including Episcopal, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Methodist, Unitarian/Universalist, and others - also represented.
- Baptists -- New England -- History -- Sources
- Catholic Church -- History -- Sources -- New England
- Church records and registers -- New England
- Congregational churches -- New England -- History -- Sources
- Connecticut -- Church history -- Sources
- Episcopal Church -- History -- Sources -- New England
- Lutheran Church -- New England -- History -- Sources
- Maine -- Church history -- Sources
- Massachusetts -- Church history -- Sources
- Methodist Church -- New England -- History -- Sources
- Methodist Episcopal Church -- History -- Sources -- New England
- New England -- Church history -- Sources
- New Hampshire -- Church history -- Sources
- New Haven (Conn.) -- Church history -- Sources
- Presbyterian Church -- New England -- History -- Sources
- Rhode Island -- Church history -- Sources
- United Church of Christ -- History -- Sources -- New England
- United Church on the Green (New Haven, Conn.)
- Vermont -- Church history -- Sources
- Guide to the New England Church Records
- Compiled by Martha Lund Smalley, James M. Starr, and Carl L. Beckwith
- 1996, 2003, 2013, 2023
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared According To Local Divinity Library Descriptive Practices
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US