- Scope and Contents
Volume I is the report of the director of the Danforth Study on the process of gathering data through the administration of the survey instrument, presentation and analysis of the data, and a discussion of the resulting implications. Volume II contains working and technical papers by scholars, ministers, university and church administrators, students and others who participated in the study.
The materials are compiled according to the chapters in each volume, with papers arranged in seven sub-categories within each chapter:
1) Drafts of chapter
2) Final copy of chapter
3) Related papers: including reports, surveys, dissertations, working papers, questionnaires, research proposals, etc. which have not been published.
4) Clippings and articles: including newspaper and periodical clippings, single published articles and reprints.
5) Printed materials: including brochures and descriptive items, brochures, catalogues, complete publications, conference materials, invitations, newsletters and non-substantive items.
6) Notes: including sections of papers with notations and handwritten items.
7) Correspondence: letters and memoranda.
Following the Bibliography of Volume I, a section entitled "Miscellaneous" was added to accommodate those materials that pertain to the volume in general, having been cited in several of its chapters. Similarly, six categories were created following Volume II to accommodate materials of a more specific nature that pertain to the entire study:
1) Analysis of data: including both raw and analyzed data from the administered questionnaires.
2) Case studies: including personal interviews and papers on individuals and specific groups.
3) Related institutions and organizations: including colleges and universities that participated in the study and organizations that contributed pertinent information.
4) Related materials: including materials that relate generally to the study, but are not specifically cited.
5) Related studies: including studies conducted prior to the Danforth study, the results of which are cited by Underwood, and studies which arose from Underwood's research.
6) Underwood Articles: including papers, reports and articles by Kenneth Underwood.
The collection serves as a rich source of primary material for research in the area of ministry in higher education.
- Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
- I. Volume I - Report of the Director
- II. Volume II - Working and Technical Papers
- III. Data and Related Material
- 30 Linear Feet (71 boxes)
- Related Names
- Danforth Foundation (Saint Louis, Mo.)
- Language of Materials