Scope and Contents
This collection documents the life and work of Charles Henry Hall, a prominent Episcopal clergyman during the second half of the nineteenth century. Hall was a strong Unionist during the Civil War, though the church he served in Washington during this period was divided in its sentiments. He was a leading citizen of Brooklyn, NY, serving as civil service commissioner and park commissioner. He was a close friend of Henry Ward Beecher. Hall generally avoided political matters in the pulpit but did speak on civic and social reforms.
The Sermons of Series I provide very thorough documentation of Hall's preaching. More than 1500 manuscript sermons are in a numbered sequence that corresponds roughly to chronological order. Dates and places preached are noted on most of the sermons. The numbered sequence is followed by four volumes of indexes to the sermons, which refer to sermons preached on various texts and topics.
The Notes and Writings of Series II include unnumbered, published, and fragmentary sermons, lectures, addresses, and notes. The bound volumes in this series include volumes of notes and quotations, a parish register from the Church of the Epiphany, Washington, DC, two letter copybooks, and a visiting book. Series III, Biographical Documentation, primarily contains tributes following Hall's death.
Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
- I. Sermons, 1844-1895
- II. Notes and Writings, 1848-1893, undated
- III. Biographical Documentation, 1895, undated
15 Linear Feet (38 boxes)
Language of Materials
More than 1500 manuscript sermons and other writings document Hall's work as a clergyman. Charles Henry Hall (1820-1895) was an Episcopal clergyman in New York, South Carolina, and Washington D.C.
Biographical / Historical
- 1820 November 7
- Born in Georgia
- B. A., Yale College.
- Studied Biblical literature in Andover, MA, and at General Theological Seminary, NY
- Ordained as deacon in Protestant Episcopal Church
- Took charge of St. John's Church, Huntington, LI
- Rector of Church of the Holy Innocents, West Point, NY
- Rector of St. John's Church, St. John's Island, SC
- Rector of Church of the Epiphany, Washington, DC
- 1869- 1895
- Rector of Church of the Holy Trinity, Brooklyn, NY
- 1895 September 12
- Guide to the Charles Henry Hall Papers
- Compiled by Martha Lund Smalley
- Description rules
- Finding Aid Prepared According To Local Divinity Library Descriptive Practices
- Language of description note
- Finding aid written in English.
Part of the Yale Divinity Library Repository
409 Prospect Street
New Haven CT 06511 US