- Scope and Contents
While the ECFSA publications in Series V document its work throughout Southern Africa, the materials in the first four series relate primarily to the Namibian situation. The majority of the files in these series date from 1970 to 1990.
This record group provides valuable documentation of the political and religious situation in Southern Africa during the past three decades. The ECFSA newsletters and special reports, in particular, provide extensive factual information and analysis of the situation. ECFSA efforts to influence U.S. government policy toward South Africa are also documented. The extensive files relating to the Council of Churches and other church groups and organizations in Namibia provide detailed, grassroots documentation of events and situations. Since the offices of the Council of Churches in Namibia suffered an arson fire in 1986, some of the documents in these files may not be accessible elsewhere. Individual files for several African church leaders document their activities and influence.
- Conditions Governing Access
The materials are open for research.
- Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the ECFSA.
- I. Namibia Files - Council of Churches in Namibia, 1971-1990
- II. Namibia Files - Church Groups and Organizations, 1965-1990, n.d
- III. Namibia Files - Individual files. 1961-1990
- IV. Topical files, 1974-1990, n.d.
- V. Publications of ECSA/ECFSA, 1963-1998, n.d.
- 3.5 Linear Feet (8 boxes)
- Related Names
- Episcopal Churchpeople for a Free Southern Africa
- Language of Materials