Showing Collections: 1–8 of 8
- Abington, Frances Barton, 1737-1815 1
- Adelcrantz, Carl Fredrik, 1716-1796 1
- Albert, Prince Consort, consort of Victoria, Queen of Great Britain, 1819-1861 1
- Bacon, John, 1740-1799 1
- Balugani, Luigi Antonio Melchiorre, 1737-1771 1
- Banks, Joseph, 1743-1820 1
- Beaumont, George Howland, Sir, 1753-1827 1
- Boxer (Ship : 1855-1865) 1
- Breda, C. F. von (Carl Fredrik), 1759-1818 1
- Bruce, James, 1730-1794 1
- Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797 1
- Burke, Jane Mary Nugent, 1734-1812 1
- Carr family 1
- Carr, Anna Margaret, 1797-1872 1
- Carr, Harriet, 1829-1889 1
- Carr, Ralph Edward, 1833-1892 (History of the family of Carr of Dunston Hill, Co. Durham) 1
- Carr, Thomas William, 1830-1912 1
- Catherine, Empress of Russia, II, 1729-1796 1
- Cleopatra (Ship : 1843) 1
- Cranworth, Laura Rolfe, Lady, 1807-1868 1 ∧ less
Call Number: MSS 68
Scope and Contents: The archive comprises original manuscript material concerning the travels of James Bruce of Kinnaird in North Africa and Ethiopia, from 1762 to 1774. Bruce (1730-1794) was originally posted as British consul-general at Algiers, though his diplomatic service concluded in 1765. Over the next 10 years, Bruce traveled in North Africa to document the antiquities, flora, and fauna of the region. Bruce then traveled to Ethiopia to document the source of the Nile. The bulk of material concerns Bruce's...
Dates: ca. 1750-ca.1850.
Call Number: MSS 8
Overview: The collection comprises travel sketches, scrapbooks, and genealogical material concerning the Carr family of Northumberland, England.
Dates: 1699-1981, bulk 1811-1899
Call Number: MSS 28
Overview: The collection comprises illustrated manuscript diaries of Ellen Fenton of Haven Green House, Ealing, which chronicle her summer family vacations to Boulogne-sur-Mer, 1854-1862, in nine volumes.
Call Number: MSS 18
Overview: The collection comprises correspondence, photographs, sketchbooks, travel journals, notebooks, and printed material concerning Charles Jones (1780-1850) and his descendants. The correspondence spans the better part of the nineteenth century (1805-1878), with the bulk of the letters dating from the 1830s, 1840s, and 1850s; it offers a window into the life of a large middle-class dissenting family in mid nineteenth-century London.
Call Number: MSS 11
Overview: The collection comprises personal diaries, watercolors, and drawings by Robert Provo Norris, most of which were created while he was a soldier stationed on the Cape of Good Hope in South Africa during the Frontier ("Kaffir") Wars of the 1840s and 1850s.
Call Number: MSS 38
Overview: The collection comprises the drawings, diary, and log books of Edwin Augustus Porcher, from tours of duty to South and East Asia (1849-1853) aboard the HMS Cleopatra and the Mediterranean and North Africa (1857-60) aboard the HMS Hibernia, HMS Kertch and HMS Boxer.
Call Number: MSS 30
Overview: The collection comprises correspondence, notebooks, writings, and other manuscript material by or about the artist Joshua Reynolds.
Call Number: MSS 26
Overview: The collection comprises diaries, notebooks, and other manuscript documents concerning the travels of James Wales in India, with a particular focus on antiquities of Poona and the nearby cave temples of Ellora.