Showing Collections: 1–5 of 5
- Abington, Frances Barton, 1737-1815 1
- Adelcrantz, Carl Fredrik, 1716-1796 1
- Bacon, John, 1740-1799 1
- Balugani, Luigi Antonio Melchiorre, 1737-1771 1
- Banks, Joseph, 1743-1820 1
- Beaumont, George Howland, Sir, 1753-1827 1
- Breda, C. F. von (Carl Fredrik), 1759-1818 1
- Bruce, James, 1730-1794 1
- Burke, Edmund, 1729-1797 1
- Burke, Jane Mary Nugent, 1734-1812 1
- Catherine, Empress of Russia, II, 1729-1796 1
- Daniell, Thomas, 1749-1840 1
- Doughty, William, 1757-1780 or 1782 1
- Dufresnoy, Charles-Alphonse, 1611-1668 1
- Gainsborough, Thomas, 1727-1788 1
- Gaṅgārāma, active 18th century 1
- Gurney, Emma, ca. 1800-1860 1
- Gwatkin, Theophila Palmer, 1757-1848 1
- Hamilton, William, 1751-1801 1
- Haughton, Moses, 1773-1849 1 ∧ less
Call Number: MSS 68
Scope and Contents: The archive comprises original manuscript material concerning the travels of James Bruce of Kinnaird in North Africa and Ethiopia, from 1762 to 1774. Bruce (1730-1794) was originally posted as British consul-general at Algiers, though his diplomatic service concluded in 1765. Over the next 10 years, Bruce traveled in North Africa to document the antiquities, flora, and fauna of the region. Bruce then traveled to Ethiopia to document the source of the Nile. The bulk of material concerns Bruce's...
Dates: ca. 1750-ca.1850.
Call Number: MSS 18
Overview: The collection comprises correspondence, photographs, sketchbooks, travel journals, notebooks, and printed material concerning Charles Jones (1780-1850) and his descendants. The correspondence spans the better part of the nineteenth century (1805-1878), with the bulk of the letters dating from the 1830s, 1840s, and 1850s; it offers a window into the life of a large middle-class dissenting family in mid nineteenth-century London.
Call Number: MSS 6
Overview: The collection comprises sketchbooks and exercise books belonging to the Pease family of Durham and Yorkshire Counties, England. The Peases were part of an important network of Quaker industrialists in the northeast of England, and established the nation's first railroad in 1825. Items in the collection date from the early nineteenth to the early twentieth century.
Call Number: MSS 30
Overview: The collection comprises correspondence, notebooks, writings, and other manuscript material by or about the artist Joshua Reynolds.
Call Number: MSS 26
Overview: The collection comprises diaries, notebooks, and other manuscript documents concerning the travels of James Wales in India, with a particular focus on antiquities of Poona and the nearby cave temples of Ellora.